28-300mm f3.5-5.6L Canon IS EF Review - Week 3

Well here is my second review after owning the lens for 3 full weeks.

28-300mm on a Canon 30D
This is what the lens looks like fully extended on my Canon 30D

I am really enjoying the benefits of the push/pull design for composing my shots however it is causing a lot more dust to enter the camera as it is not a sealed body. However, I am happy to put up with it because this lens delivers very good results. Dust on the sensor can be cleaned easily by using a lens cleaning pen, sensors are not as fragile as most people think. HINT: To see if you have sensor dust select the highest aperture number i.e. 32 or 40 and take a photo of a white wall or sky and you will see dust as clearly as you need

Overall the contrast of this lens is better than both the 17-85mm Canon EF-S and the Canon 50mm 1.4 wide open. At 300mm sharpness does drop a bit as expected but at f8 they are fine again. The 1.7kg weight of the lens is now becoming normal for me to carry around however the size is still not great if I were on a holiday and wanted to pack light. i.e going snowboarding I would leave this at home and carry a P&S

I have included some shots from the lens below. They have had some adjustments but nothing too major. Click through the images to see other sizes and more photos.


wet pussy


bee macro


i am special

Comments

Popular Posts